Saturday, May 25, 2013

Getting back to it...

It's been quite some time since I posted here, but that is primarily because it has been quite some time since I have been training with the Team. After five seasons, I was a little burnt out on the fundraising and needed a break.

That is not to say that I've not been running... I've completed quite a few more half marathons on my own. But, it's time to get back to the Team, back to the mission of LLS, and back to a more consistent and planned training schedule. Also... back to running full marathons.

As usual, my timing is impeccable. I swore up and down that I would never again train for an autumn race in Virginia. The heat and humidity in July through September saps me of energy for everyday living, never mind getting up early to run 18 miles. But... it's time.

A few weeks ago an old friend from university got back in touch with me. The last time we corresponded was more than a year ago, shortly after she was diagnosed with Leukemia. She (understandably) fell off the map for a while, and it was so great to hear from her and learn she is doing well.  That e-mail was the push that I needed to get me to lace up the shoes and log some long miles, in celebration of her return to good health.  And to raise some funds to help find a cure for blood cancers.

I missed the festivities of kick-off last week... today is my first official training run of the season, and of course it falls on the holiday weekend, so we're running on our own. After a week of steamy hot weather, the temperatures plummeted last night... so it will be a lovely cool morning to get out with my dog for a slow and easy 3 miler.

140 days til race day...  thanks for joining me on the journey.

If you're able, please consider making a donation to support the mission of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and help to find an end to blood cancers.

No comments:

Post a Comment