Sunday, May 26, 2013

how running marathons saves lives...

it never occurred to me that the title of my blog might sound a little presumptuous until my cousin EJ told me that she was proud of me for saving lives. at that moment i put out some minor efforts to clarify that in fact it won't be me saving any lives.

it will be the researchers and doctors who are able to further their work with the money raised that will save lives. it will be the LLS who provides the necessary support -- emotional, psychological and financial -- to the patients and their family that will save lives. it will be the generosity of you, of family and friends and complete strangers who are moved to contribute to this cause that will save lives. me running a marathon won't save any lives.

coming back to the running of marathons though... i know that i am fortunate in that i am healthy. physically, i am capable of running a marathon. or, i will be with the help of the Team In Training coaches and training program. it's going to be hard. it's going to hurt. i'm going to struggle.

but it is nothing compared to the struggles of someone who is undergoing treatment for cancer. it is nothing compared to fighting for my life. because in the end, if i am unable to cross the finish line at 42.2 kms (26.2 miles)... i will have another chance to reach that goal. i will train harder next time, and eventually i will succeed.

me running a marathon won't save any lives. in the end, my real contribution is made by asking you to make a donation. 

you may not know anyone who suffers from a blood cancer such as leukemia or lymphoma... but i am willing to bet that you know someone who has had cancer. and if you're lucky enough that you don't... chances are that you will at some point in your lifetime.


Just remember, if there is progress made in research for any
cancer it will help all cancer research.


so i am asking. that's how i am going to help to save lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment