Friday, November 1, 2013

Here we go again...

Hard to believe the Baltimore Running Festival Marathon was only 3 weeks ago… seems like a lot longer!

The weekend following my race, I met up with the team for the final group training run… Part of the team was in San Francisco running the Nike Women's Marathon in support of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. All of the proceeds of that race go to support the work of LLS, so it is one that is near and dear to all our hearts.

But those of us who remained in the National Capital Area met up at the Iwo Jima War Memorial, so the runners who would be doing the Marine Corps Marathon the following weekend would have a chance to do a trial run, climbing that hill up to the memorial.

I went out with the team for a few miles. Not too many as my blisters were still healing…

Last weekend I found a great place around mile 22 and spent 5 hours cheering myself hoarse and watching my friends/teammates dig deep into that place that provides the strength and determination to just keep going even when you're exhausted and everything hurts.

And I found myself feeling sad…. I love being a part of this. Even though I will never be a fast runner. I love the running community, and the Team in Training community… and I miss them when I am not involved.

So, even though I find the fundraising to be a struggle (more of a struggle than the training, in fact!)… I have signed up for spring season with the team. I will endeavor to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to support their good work…. funding research to find a cure for all types of blood cancers, and providing support for patients and their families.

I would, as always, be so grateful to have your support on my journey. If you're able, please feel free to donate using the link to my fundraising site. All donations, large or small, will be enormously appreciated… If you are not able, I welcome words of encouragement and support… offers of companionship during training runs… etc.

thanks in advance,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment