Sunday, June 5, 2016

fools (like me) run half marathons without training

Having done pretty much nothing in the way of exercise since Paris Marathon, I ran the Ex2 Adventures Fountainhead Off Road Half Marathon yesterday.... Not an ideal training regimen. I don't recommend it. Fountainhead is a challenging course, very hilly (some very steep and rooty), a few water crossings, and in June when the temperatures can be expected to be in the 80s at least.
Yesterday was not too hot, but terribly humid. There had been substantial rain the night before so the trail was slippery in many places (and ankle deep mud in a few!)... and it was tough. I finished, but about 30 minutes slower than I had hoped.
Thanks to Ex2 for putting on another great race. As a back of the pack runner (at their races at least!!) it is really gratifying to be late on the course but still find friendly and gracious volunteers, and to still have lots of food and drink available at the finish line.
Now that I’m over the pneumonia, it’s time to choose my next TNT event. This time around, I’ve decided to run the Detroit Free Press International Marathon (running through Detroit, across the border into Windsor, and back to Detroit! How fun is that going to be??)   Training for a marathon during the hot and humid Virginia summer can be pretty daunting. But, not as daunting as a cancer diagnosis (which is why I continue to train and fundraise with TNT  year after year). Raising $3000 is pretty daunting too, but with your support, I know I can do it!
It takes more than one person to make a team... and I'm asking you to be on mine. Send me some kind words of encouragement. Offer to join me for a mid-week training run. Make a donation. Make me dinner! Host a fundraiser. Ask your friends and families to make a donation... Help me to help the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society find a cure for blood cancers.
Our donations will go to fund treatments that save lives every day. Our donations will fund new research. Our donations also go to maintaining patient support programs, including financial assistance, peer-to-peer support groups, and caregiver support.

Patients (and their families) need these programs, they need cures and they need our support.

Please make a donation in support of my efforts with Team In Training, on behalf of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and help to get us all closer to a world without blood cancers.
THANK YOU!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment