Monday, June 20, 2016

updates (training and otherwise)

This weekend was a good one as far as marathon training and friends with cancer goes...

Ran 5 hot and steamy miles in Alexandria with the Team on Saturday morning. Nice to run somewhere I've never been before, and to run with new friends. One of my new teammates works with my husband, which was a delightful surprise!

We had our seasonal honoured teammate brunch at the LLS office, and heard some pretty inspirational stories. One of our teammates got her 5 year "all clear" on Thursday, so that was cause for great celebration!

Because I am also in training for the Marathon by the Sea in St John NB in August, I was scheduled to have run 14 miles on Saturday. But I spent too much time talking to people at the brunch, and it was too hot by the time I got home to be bothered with going back out for the remaining 9 miles.

So the dogs and I hit the trails yesterday morning. Four hilly miles with a quick mid-way break for Remy to have a swim in the lake. Then three hilly miles with Lando, and an even quicker break because he would only go ankle deep in the lake... then another two solo miles. I know it's not the same as running 9 miles without breaks, but... one must do what one can to meet all of the household exercise requirements.

Maya has been bed-ridden with a flare of immune mediated polyarthritis, so she is doped up on pain-killers, barely able to walk through the house to go out for a bathroom break. So, no running for her.

My friend Jenn completed her last chemo on Friday. She came out to relax at our place yesterday, read books in the hammock, was forcibly and enthusiastically snuggled by the dogs, had a nice quiet dinner... and talked about plans for the future. Specifically, running plans for the future. She's participating in a Ragnar event this summer, and training for both the Chicago and Richmond marathons in the fall... and planning to run Flying Pig with the Team in the spring. (This is the girl who went to the gym with her portable chemo bag to get in her regularly scheduled 4:30am workouts!)

Talk about not letting life pass you by...

I will be running Richmond Marathon with her in November (if I'm able to keep up with her!). So my goal for the season (beyond just preparing to run 3 marathons in 4 months), is to get faster.

Tonight... yoga.

Tomorrow, speed work...


In other news, we will be having a community yardsale on Saturday. All proceeds from my table will go to LLS. My first fundraiser for the season!

If you'd like to be the very first person to donate... you can do so right here.



No comments:

Post a Comment