Friday, January 16, 2015

26 Reasons to Run - Reason #16

I run Mile #16 in honour of my GRAMMY

We call her the incredible shrinking Grammy... at one time she managed to reach a little over 5' tall, but in recent years she has lost a few inches. I suppose this is a normal part of the aging process, but it is strikingly noticeable in her case. I'm no giant at 5'4"... but even I now have to bend over to give her a hug.

In 1999 Grammy was diagnosed with cancer. I don't actually know what kind, though I suppose I could find out if I prodded a little. In my experience, British ladies of a certain age don't like to share those kind of personal details. Stiff upper lip and all... Maybe it's all ladies of a certain age, but both of my grandmothers are British and that has definitely been their approach.

In any case, for many years following her treatment for cancer Grammy has been struggling with digestive issues. Last year she had emergency surgery to remove what turned out to be extensive scar tissue in her stomach and intestines that were caused by the radiation. And now, for the first time in 15 years, she is able to eat pretty much anything she likes without spending days in agony afterwards.


Huge advances have been made in recent years in how cancer cells are targeted, both with medications and radiation. If she had been diagnosed with cancer this year, her treatment regimen would have been vastly different than the one she experienced.

These advances are made possible by providing funding to researchers who are dedicating their life's work to finding better, safer, more effective treatment options.... and that funding is made possible by people like you. So, if you are able... please click on the link to my fundraising page (in the upper right hand corner) and help the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to provide funds for critical research.

LLS research grants have funded many of today's most promising advances, including targeted therapies and immunotherapies. Some of the therapies that were first approved for blood cancer patients are now also helping patients with other types of cancers and other serious diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment