Sunday, January 18, 2015

26 Reasons to Run - Reasons #20, 21 and 22

One week from today I will be mid-marathon...

A marathon is 26.2 miles.... that's a lot of miles, and since I'm not a fast runner, that's a lot of time to be out there running. When one is logging long miles (and long hours), there is plenty of time for sight-seeing, plenty of time for making new friends or enjoying the company of old friends... and plenty of time to get lost in ones thoughts.

When the miles start to take their toll, and I start contemplating all the reasons that I don't actually need to finish this darned run anyway... I bring my thoughts to the reasons that I find myself out on the course, and raising money to help find a cure for cancer.


Here are reasons # 20, 21 and 22 that I continue to run and raise funds to support organizations like the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to try to find a cure for cancer.

I run in memory of Art and Gladys, and in honour of Derek


my grandparents, on their wedding day

I often find my thoughts turning to my Nan (Gladys) when I'm running. I have never thought of myself as being particularly athletic... more of an awkward but enthusiastic participant, really. My Nan though, when she was young she was an athlete... and her sport was running hurdles.

My nan was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999. Nan had a mastectomy and radiation therapy, but because she also had liver disease her chemotherapy options were extremely limited. She died in 2006.

My Grandad, Derek, was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010. His brother, my great-uncle Art, died of colon cancer in 2007.

Grandad is currently doing well... thank goodness.

On marathon day, I usually find myself hitting the proverbial wall somewhere between miles 20 and 22.... When that time comes, when I need to dig deep within myself to keep moving forward, I will be thinking about my Nan and Grandad, and Uncle Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment