Monday, February 2, 2015

got the evening workout blues

There is something that I was not worried about regarding team swim practices, that I'm now a little concerned about... no, it's not the humiliation of being in a bathing suit in public, and it's not that my skin will be painfully dry and itchy from the chlorine, and it's not that I forgot to bring flip flops for the pool and am now convinced I'll have picked up foot fungus or something equally icky (though truth be told, all of those things have gone through my mind in the last 10 hours).

No, my new concern is the late hour.

Our team practice is Sunday night from 8:30 - 9:30. By the time we got out of the pool and got dressed and out the door, it was 9:45 and then I had an hour drive home. I don't know about you, but after vigorous exercise, it takes me a while to slow down enough to be ready to sleep. Driving on the 66 in snow and freezing rain to get home didn't help matters. By the time I made it home, chatted with my sweetheart who wanted to hear all about my new adventure, loved up the dogs a little, threw my sweaty running gear from the morning and my swim gear from the evening into the washing machine, had a shower to wash off the chlorine, and made myself some "let me help you get to sleep" tea it was 11:30. Even then, I couldn't get to sleep right away... and when the alarm went off at 5:20 this morning, it was a real struggle to get out of bed (and not just because my arms hurt!!).

Anyone have suggestions for how to get to sleep quickly after a late evening work out?

No comments:

Post a Comment