Sunday, February 15, 2015

reason #1 that i run and fundraise to find a cure for cancer

You may recall that a few weeks back, I wrote about the 26 reasons I continue to run with Team In Training, and fundraise to help find a cure for cancer.

Reason #1 was my mom... in part because I ran my first half marathon with her, in part because she continues to be my greatest supporter/cheerleader in all my running endeavors... and in part because she was diagnosed with Ocular Melanoma in  2013 (that is, cancer of the eye).

She had a series of surgeries to remove the cancer and then reconstruct the eye in 2013 and 2014. Last week she had to go back under the knife (which she could see with the eye they were operating on, while they were operating on it! just imagining that makes me feel a little nauseated...) to remove several more discolored areas on the eye ball that were causing concern, and a dark growth on one eyelid.  We are still waiting on the biopsy results...

I spoke with my mom this morning and she's in good spirits. A week after the surgery she says that she's no longer in pain... it just feels like someone threw a handful of sand and bees into her eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment